Samatha's Story

Monday, January 17, 2011

Now that I have told her story...

It has been awhile since I have posted on here, and for that, I am sorry. I figured since I have already told her story, it would be nice to tell ways to find help. I am not an expert on how to find help, but I know how to direct people to people that can find them help. First, always start with your Primary Care Physician. Usually, if you are going to their office, that means they are a fairly good doctor. I know that is not always the case. And even if it is, often times they will brush you off. Mine did. They see so many patients during the day, and it seems the only ones that are checked out are the ones that have major illnesses or disabilities. It sucks for those that want to get things fixed before they become a problem. Sometimes disabilities go undiagnosed for years. The next thing I did, was go to the daycare my daughter went to. (Usually, this is not the next step, but I was only 16 and I needed someone to back me. Plus, she went to an Early Head Start Program, and part of their job is to detect hdevelopmental delays in children.) They referred me to the Health Department in my area to a program called Babies 1st. I signed up for the program when my daughter was born and forgot about it. Babies 1st is a program meant to help with anything the family needs through referals. If you are homeless, they will refer to a program that can help you find somewhere to live. They even help you with medical bills for certain sicknesses or disabilities if you don't have insurance. Don't have a carseat? They will help you get a brand new one for free through a class they have there. And they referred me to the Babies Can't Wait program for Samantha. Which, I have already gone over the story of the initial visit and all. Not all areas have the same program, but many areas have a Babies Can't Wait. They work with children until 18 years old. In which case, if they are still in therapy due to a car wreck or a non-curable disorder, they will be sent to a new therapist and they will continue their therapy, obviously. Here is the site for Babies Can't Wait in Georgia. It should have all the contact information in it. You will probably have to contact them or google to find another state.
http://health.state.ga.us/programs/bcw/

No comments:

Post a Comment